Monday, April 21, 2008

Some of my favorite words

Here's a smattering of some of my favorite words in english for the way they sound when pronounced or amusing definitions or both.

pusillanimous (adj)- lacking courage or resolution; cowardly
ubiquitous (adj)- existing or being everywhere especially at the same time; omnipresent
egregious (adj)- extraordinary in some bad way; flagrant
abstruse (Adj)- difficult to understand
gumption (n)- initiative, spunk, guts
precipice (n)- a situation of great peril
quidnunc (n)- a busybody; someone wanting to know the latest gossip
pilgarlic (n)- a person regarded with mild or pretended contempt or pity (can also mean a bald-headed man)
absquatulate (v)- to flee or abscond
discombobulate (v)- to confuse or disconcert
esculent (adj)- edible
sphygmomanometer (n)- blood pressure cuff
obnubilate (v)- to cloud over, obscure
plethora (n)- overabundance, excess
turgescent (Adj)- becoming swollen, swelling
callipygian (Adj)- having well-shaped buttocks
flagitate (v)- to demand fiercely or with passion
pugilist (n)- a boxer
sycophant (n)- a self-seeking, servile flatterer; brown-noser
pandiculation (n)- the act of stretching oneself; usually accompanies a yawn
superfluous (adj)- being more than is sufficient or required; unnecessary
voluminous (adj)- of great volume or size

And a few in French:

parapluie- umbrella
chocolat- chocolate
reverie- daydream
chanteuse- female singer
gateau- cake

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Thanks for putting things in simpler terms for me! :) I think I'll leave these to you and you can use them for big points in our next Scrabble game! Ha! :)

Lani said...

I hope I'm not being too abstruse or egregious if I say your esculent, callypygian backside obnubilates and discombobulates. I know you're thinking I'm being a superfluous sychophant. Please don't let my gumption make you absquatulate. At least you can't say I'm pusillanimous, but you might regard me as a pilgarlic. I imagine if you were an ubiquitous pugilist you might feign pandiculation and reach over to wrap a sphygmomanometer around my neck about now and squeeze until my turgescent, voluminous head turned purple - all the while flagitating that I'm a quidnunc and that I take it all back. Being in this precipice, of course, I would quickly agree.

(takes deep breath) And I'm not going to attempt the French - and I'm not going to proofread, so sorry for any mispellings here.

Mrs Starling said...

YAY! A fellow word-nerd! I love it!!

The McCoys said...

Parapluie is one of my favorite french words too! Always enjoy reading about the fun you all are having out west! Emma is growing fast - so fun to watch! Hope you enjoy the spring - we've been having simply beautiful weather here! Take care!

Bruce and Deb said...

HAPPY 1st Birthday to Chloe!! ;-) Deb