I guess some people think our method of work/life balance is noteworthy. Most of you readers probably know (whomever you are) that we don't use daycare despite the fact that both Aaron and I work. Chloe is always with one of us (at least with my new schedule at work) unless we go out on a date (a rare occurrence lately!). Some days this setup works quite well and other days, well it just doesn't work very well at all. If I had my druthers neither of us would work and we could both be with Chloe 24/7. But then we'd probably have to live in a little shack of cardboard down by the river. So....I go to work all day (7-330M-F) and Aaron works 4 evenings (Sat 4-1030, Sun 1-1030, Mon 430-1030, Tues 5-1030). Mondays are the toughest - our revolving door day. So we get a quick kiss and a 5 second communication pass-off about anything new/important that happened and off he goes to work as I walk in the door. We both realize how blessed we are not to require daycare (it's expensive, not always a good environment for the kids, germy, did I mention expensive?) and how blessed Chloe is to have a daddy who gets to spend so much time with her. This setup would absolutely NOT work if we both hated our jobs, but thankfully we both love our jobs despite the daily frustrations and annoyances. (Maybe I'll get Aaron to post about why he likes his job).
Even though I have to drag myself out of our toasty warm bed every day at an unearthly, frigid, dark hour to get to work on time I can honestly say that I love my job. (And that early morning thing is saying a lot since I really don't like mornings at all ). On my way to the locker room every morning I pass faces of weary, sick people and feel excited that maybe one of them will be my surgical patient tomorrow and I'll participate in improving their quality of life more than they thought possible. When I go to the pre-op waiting area to introduce myself to the patient before they come back to our cold, sterile, seemingly-unfriendly operating room, I have a split second opportunity (less than 5 minutes usually) to make a positive, comforting first impression as the nurse that will take care of them during their time in the OR. An impression that conveys to that vulnerable, anxious, afraid human being that I genuinely am concerned for their well-being and will do my best to make sure we do everything in our power to protect them and hopefully ultimately heal/cure their ailment. I have to be on my toes all day long because you never know when something unexpected might come up (even if you have prepared for every possible unexpected) For the first time as a nurse, I feel comfortable enough with physicians to converse/joke/intelligently argue on a peer level rather than at the bottom of their marble pedestal looking up. I feel respected for my contribution to the team effort (most days- if I can do it without making mistakes). And the whole time I'm remembering that it's Mr. So&So under the drapes and hopefully at the end of the day we'll have removed whatever tumor/problem that has been plaguing his body. Before you begin to wonder what sort of medications/brainwashing chemicals are circulating in the water at work, let me just say that I am sincerely happy that I chose this job change (for now anyway!) and for once I don't dread going to work (other than the leaving my warm snuggly bed thing). The sense of fulfillment I experience after a hard day's work in my career almost balances the guilt/grief of leaving my daughter at home all day. (almost)
PS. I'm sorry for all the ()'s and /'s in this post. When I'm really excited/emotionally involved about something it's difficult for me to succinctly articulate my feelings on the matter.
5 comments:
Hey, I have been lurking for awhile. I would love to know what Aaron does? Those are the exact hours that I would need. My husband works the same hours as you. I would like, (read need) to get a job but the boys come first!
Aaron works for American Airlines at the airport here in town. He's been there for 2 years now. To be honest, his schedule isn't always the greatest. But the new one he's bidding on will hopefully be working mon-thurs eves and have every Fri, Sat, Sun off!
With the change in seasons the your mornings won't be so dark and frigid anymore, they will still be unearthly though! Jana
Your job sounds very fulfilling, Jami. And it really does sound like it's straight out of Grey's Anatomy. ;) Are there any Dr. McDreamys or Dr. McSteamys around? I kid.
Jami, thanks for sharing! The few times I've been in the hospital (well, 4, to have my babies), I've had great nurses. I can definitely picture you doing this and being interested in the patient as a person!!! Chloe is very fortunate to be HOME! xoxo A.Anne
Post a Comment