Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Random sputterings

-Is anyone else ever amused/puzzled/irritated by people who have conversational diarrhea? You know who I mean....the people who relentlessly talk to you about any and every topic despite your continued body language that gives no indication you're listening. The people you have to creatively concoct an excuse to escape from talking to....the ones who talk and talk just to fill the space.... I work with one of those people. Most days I just tune it out.....today it got on my nerves and those of another victim of her verbal sword.
-One of the surgeons I work with has done 4,996 of the exact same case in a row. No different cases stuck in between.....that many times....the exact same case. We were hoping he'd retire when he hit 5000 but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen. Did I mention that being the RN in his cases is like submitting to slow brain death? There's no variation in the progression of events...hardly anything for me to do...can't listen to any music in the room....and he's slower than molasses. It takes from 8am to 10pm for him to finish 3 cases.
-I work 130pm-10pm.....it really annoys me when they give me my dinner break @ 430. Then I'm always starving at 10 when I leave.
-I think I really want to go back to school for my master's to be a nurse practitioner but that seems like such a huge mountain. Do I have the motivation to do it? And then I probably should take the GRE....oy vey....and it would mean having to do school while still working.... I have the utmost respect for the female residents I work with who are pregnant. I don't think I'd be able to handle that.
-There is nothing more splendid than going to bed between freshly laundered sheets.

3 comments:

Janelle said...

I always intended to go back for my NP. I kept putting it off while I was working, always had some excuse of why I shouldn't do it. I still think about it, maybe when the kids are in school. Even though I am so glad to be home with the kids, I do miss working a lot! If we were still in MN, I'd at least be supplemental. Ah well, the way it goes. You can do it!!

Lani said...

I'm one of those people, unfortunatley, and when it happens I hate myself, but for the life of me, I can't make myself shut up. ;) Now at least I know the technical term for it. Ha.

Ellie C. said...

yes those people are extremely annoying. i work with one of them myself. unfortunately she waits until the end of the shift to get it all out so we're standing awkwardly in the lobby and I'm trying not to fall over backwards from the weight of my backpack while she recounts a gruesome story from her days as lifeguard. I never know how to gracefully leave since I can't get a word in edgewise.